4-6-0 tactics on managing Manchester United

General discussion about older versions of Football Manager.
Including Formations, Tactics, Best Players and Wonderkids.
santowhir

4-6-0 tactics on managing Manchester United

Postby santowhir » Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:28 pm

Has anyone else played the 4-6-0 formation with Manchester United?

I thought that this would go against the players you start with Manchester United but I seem to have had quite some success with it.

I came 1st in the league in my first season only conceding 29 goals in the league, although I had to tinker with the team instructions to stop so many goals going in at the beginning.

My starting eleven was as followed.

---------------------- De Gea ----------------------

Rafael - Ferdinand - Vidic - Alex Sandro

------------ Carrick - Fellaini -------------------

Valencia - Januzaj - Van Persie - Mata

With a rotating second eleven playing in the capital one cup / fa cup and early champions cup games.

---------------------- Lindegaard ----------------------

Jones ------ Smalling --------- Evans -------- Evra

------------ Schneiderlin - Fletcher -------------------

Welbeck ----- Nani --- Kagawa --- Rooney

These were the team instructions to stop conceding so many goals.

- Retain Possession
- Play Out Of Defence
- Run At Defence
- Exploit The Flanks
- Look For Overlap
- Roam From Positions
- Allow Wide Players to Swap
- Hassle Opponents (This will make players get more yellow/red cards)
- Get Stuck In (This will make players get more yellow/red cards)
- Use Tight Marking

The first thing to notice is the arrival of Morgan Schneiderlin from Southampton and Alex Sandro from Porto. The left back role is absolutely essential as Patrice Evra is looking to retire/move clubs and Buttner just isn't premier league quality. Fletcher also has a long term injury so a new long term DMC is vital.

Players In

• Morgan Schneiderlin - Southampton - £13 Million
  • Alex Sandro - FCP - £13.5 Million

I decided to sell Ashley Young as he has quite a large contract and there were others players that could fill the wider roles. I felt Tom Cleverly didn't fit into the system as he is more of an attacking midfielder rather than a defensive one, and there were plenty of other players that played that position better. Unfortunately the 4-6-0 meant that there was no longer any requirements for keeping Javier Hernández even though he is a rather good striker on this game, I probably could have held out more for him but I decided to off load him at £5 million.

Players Out

• Tom Cleverly - AS Monaco FC - £6.25 Million
  • Ashley Young - Newcastle - £5.75 Million
  • Tom Thorpe - Brighton - £100k
  • Javier Hernández - FCP - £5 Million
  • Alexander Büttner - Ajax - £6.75 Million

I went on a great run of games without conceding in the middle of the season once I set the team instructions to the one above. I managed to pull back a 2-1 defeat to Real Madrid in the Champions Cup with a 2-0 second leg win, unfortunately Bayern Munich were too strong in the semi-finals.

Stand out players for the season were Adnan Januzaj who had pretty good statistics until he got a serious injury with 14 goals, 10 assists, 5 man of the matches and an average rating of 7.19. Juan Mata also had a good season playing on the left wing with 12 goals, 13 assists, 7 man of the matches and an average rating of 7.13.
Attachments
mancheter-united-team-instructions-football-manager-2014.jpg
mancheter-united-team-instructions-football-manager-2014.jpg (152.08 KiB) Viewed 3337 times
manchester-united-vs-real-madrid-champions-cup-football-manager-2014.jpg
manchester-united-vs-real-madrid-champions-cup-football-manager-2014.jpg (117.44 KiB) Viewed 3337 times
manchester-united-transfers-football-manager-2014.jpg
manchester-united-transfers-football-manager-2014.jpg (105.85 KiB) Viewed 3337 times
manchester-united-vs-bayern-munich-football-manager-2014.jpg
manchester-united-vs-bayern-munich-football-manager-2014.jpg (115.07 KiB) Viewed 3337 times
manchester-united-clean-sheets-football-manager-2014.jpg
manchester-united-clean-sheets-football-manager-2014.jpg (185.16 KiB) Viewed 3337 times
manchester-united-football-manager-premier-league-table-football-manager-2014.jpg
manchester-united-football-manager-premier-league-table-football-manager-2014.jpg (119.57 KiB) Viewed 3337 times
manchester-united-2nd-team-football-manager-2014.jpg
manchester-united-2nd-team-football-manager-2014.jpg (202.15 KiB) Viewed 3337 times
manchester-united-1st-team-football-manager-2014.jpg
manchester-united-1st-team-football-manager-2014.jpg (202.23 KiB) Viewed 3337 times
juan-mata-football-manager-2014-statistics.jpg
juan-mata-football-manager-2014-statistics.jpg (165.45 KiB) Viewed 3337 times
adnan-januzaj-football-manager-2014-stats.jpg
adnan-januzaj-football-manager-2014-stats.jpg (167.42 KiB) Viewed 3337 times

santowhir

Re: 4-6-0 tactics on managing Manchester United

Postby santowhir » Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:23 pm

Well the second season was very tough. I've stuck with the same 4-6-0 formation and tactics and been close to most of the trophies on offer but unfortunately I fell down at the last hurdle.

The second team had a great run in the Capital One Cup reaching the final, but Chelsea provided to be too strong on the day at a time where fixtures came thick and fast, perhaps fitness had a part to pay.

I got knocked out of the Champions Cup by FC Bayern. A 3-0 deficit in the first leg and a 2-2 draw in the second leg of the 1st round knockout by a Bayern side that seemed far more stronger which was disappointing.

A great run in the FA Cup saw Man Utd in the final with Tottenham, however it was Spurs that walked away with the cup with the score 3-1 at the final whistle.

A good run in the Premier Division with 24 wins over the course of the season but not enough as it was Man City who finish 1st, and Chelsea finishing 2nd, with Man Utd finishing in 3rd place.

A very frustrating season as Man Utd came close to so many trophies but definitely a lot of positives to build upon for next season.

Stand out players for the season were Adnan Januzaj with 15 goals, 9 assists and Juan Mata with 13 goals, 9 assists.

Players in

• Dante - FC Bayern - £6.75 Million
  • Dede - Cruzeiro - £19 Million
  • Søren Pedersen - FC Nordsjælland - £1.1 Million

Players out

• Rio Ferdinand - FREE
  • Nemanja Vidic - Inter - FREE
  • Ryan Giggs - FREE
  • Federico Macheda - FREE
  • Saidy Janko - Cagliari - £220K
  • Anderson - West Ham - £3.3 Million
  • Marnick Vermijl - Watford - £1.8 Million
  • Davide Petrucci - Verona - £150K
  • Ángelo Henríquez - Southampton - £2.7 Million
  • Ben Pearson - Ipswich - £575K
  • Bebé - Reading - £1.3 Million
  • Andreas Pereira - Wolves - £250K

I sold a lot of deadwood and brought in 2 new centre backs to replace the retired Rio Ferdinand and with Nemanja Vidić also moving on. Unfortunately the board hadn't given me as much money in the transfer window as I was expecting so I had to be as resourceful as possible. Dante came in from FC Bayern at a reasonable price of £6.75 million, his experience and quality should be enough to fill in Rio Ferdinand's boots short term, although he wouldn't have been my first choice if the board gave me more money. I bought Dede from Cruzeiro with the idea that he has a few more years in him and could fill in the second centre back role for many years, his price tag and salary demands were very reasonable so it seemed like good business. My scouting team found a promising youth player called Søren Pedersen from FC Nordsjælland, he's very much a reserve player but I decided to take a punt on him at £1.1 Million.

Rafael - Dede - Dante - Alex Sandro

------------ Carrick - Fellaini -------------------

Valencia - Januzaj - Van Persie - Mata

With a rotating second eleven playing in the capital one cup / fa cup and early champions cup games.

---------------------- Lindegaard ----------------------

Jones ------ Smalling --------- Evans -------- Evra

------------ Schneiderlin - Fletcher -------------------

Welbeck ----- Nani --- Kagawa --- Rooney

manchester-united-vs-fc-bayern-champions-cup-football-manager-2014.png
manchester-united-vs-fc-bayern-champions-cup-football-manager-2014.png (236.12 KiB) Viewed 3248 times

manchester-united-transfers-football-manager-2014.png
manchester-united-transfers-football-manager-2014.png (145.93 KiB) Viewed 3248 times

manchester-united-football-manager-premier-league-table-football-manager-2014.png
manchester-united-football-manager-premier-league-table-football-manager-2014.png (157.14 KiB) Viewed 3248 times

adnan-januzaj-football-manager-2014-stats.png
adnan-januzaj-football-manager-2014-stats.png (222.04 KiB) Viewed 3248 times

juan-mata-football-manager-2014-statistics.png
juan-mata-football-manager-2014-statistics.png (217.37 KiB) Viewed 3248 times

santowhir

Postby santowhir » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:19 pm

The third season was pretty successful as players adjusted to the 4-6-0 formation, winning the title in the Premier Division and picking up the Capital One Cup with a 2-1 win over Arsenal in the final. Squad rotation wasn't quite strong enough to mount a serious FA Cup run as the team was knocked out in the quarter final away to Reading. The club overturned a 2-1 first leg defeat to Barcelona with a very impressive 4-0 home win in the second tie, however the team only managed to reach the Champions Cup quarter finals as they were knocked out by Paris Saint-Germain.

Stand out players of the season were Wayne Rooney with a very impressive 24 goals, 21 assists and Adnan Januzaj with 24 goals, 12 assists.

Players in

• Luke Shaw - Southampton - £23.5 Million
  • Danilo - FCP - £16 Million

Players out

• Darren Fletcher - FREE
  • Patrice Evra - Inter - FREE
  • Anders Lindegaard - Southampton - £1.5 Million
  • Robin Van Persie - Arsenal - £15.5 Million

I got a large bid from Arsenal for Robin Van Persie, I did ponder the decision but in the end the offer was too good for a 31 year old striker even though his performance levels were fairly good the previous season. Anders Lindegaard was constantly threatening for first-team action so I decided the best thing was to let him go and promote Sam Johnstone from the Under 21s, his performances were fairly promising with 15 starts, 7 conceded and 10 clean sheets in total. Fletcher was no longer seen as a first team player so he was let go on a free transfer. Patrice Evra's advancing years meant that it was time to let in a younger player so I chose to let him go, in hindsight I could have maybe got another year out of him.

I signed Luke Shaw as cover for left position and a long term prospect, however his performances over the course of the season haven't looked value for money. Danilo came in from FCP with the idea of rotating him and Rafael at right back, however his performances were so impressive that I had to promote him to holding midfield so Rafael and Danilo could play in the same team, this also meant I could move Carrick to a more rotational role as his performances started to drop. Unfortunately this created a problem at right-back and I had to rush forward a youth player called Ian Williams to act as cover.

I also moved up Nick Powell and Wilfried Zaha from the under 21s as they both had good performances whilst on loan and I thought they were the right age to give them a chance in some of the easier games. They both started the season well enough in the games they played, however their levels seem to drop as the season went on which resulted in them not being picked too often. Welbeck's performances last season were enough to give him a starting position for the full season.

I decided to give long term contracts to some of the best performing players, this did eat up into the transfer budget but I felt it was a good idea to cement the future of the club. Juan Mata, Danilo, Alex Sandro, Adnan Januzaj and Rafael all signed contracts to keep them at the club till 2020.

Rafael - Dede - Dante - Alex Sandro

------------ Danilo - Fellaini -------------------

Welbeck - Januzaj - Van Persie - Mata

---------------------- Johnstone ----------------------

Williams ------ Smalling --------- Jones -------- Evra

------------ Schneiderlin - Carrick -------------------

Nani ----- Powell --- Kagawa --- Valencia

manchester-united-vs-barcelona-champions-cup-football-manager-2014.png
manchester-united-vs-barcelona-champions-cup-football-manager-2014.png (230.06 KiB) Viewed 3194 times

manchester-united-transfers-football-manager-2014.png (106.58 KiB) Viewed 3194 times

manchester-united-football-manager-premier-league-table-2014.png
manchester-united-football-manager-premier-league-table-2014.png (160.16 KiB) Viewed 3194 times

wayne-rooney-man-utd-football-manager-2014.png
wayne-rooney-man-utd-football-manager-2014.png (223.53 KiB) Viewed 3194 times

adnan-januzaj-man-utd-football-manager-2014.png
adnan-januzaj-man-utd-football-manager-2014.png (214.9 KiB) Viewed 3194 times

danilo-man-utd-football-manager-2014.png
danilo-man-utd-football-manager-2014.png (213.45 KiB) Viewed 3194 times

ian-williams-man-utd-football-manager-2014.png
ian-williams-man-utd-football-manager-2014.png (219.1 KiB) Viewed 3194 times

santowhir

Postby santowhir » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:17 pm

I had an extraordinary season winning the Premier Division, tallying up a total of 95 points and only losing 3 times in the campaign despite having numerous injuries half way through the season. Manchester United's goal difference was the most superior in the division with a notable +71, scoring a total of 99 goals and only conceding 28. Despite the good overall performances I lost out in the Capital One Cup to Manchester City in the Quarter finals, beaten in the end by an intense penalty shoot-out. The teams valiant effort of a 0-0 draw away to Real Madrid in the Champions Cup 1st round knockout was not good enough to overcome a 1-1 draw in the first leg at Old Trafford, a disappointing end to what could have been a strong Champions Cup year. Unfortunately the team didn't perform in their FA Cup final tie with Liverpool, losing 2-1 on the day. With the impressive run in the Premier Division it certainly felt that this team had more to give in terms of trophies.

Wayne Rooney had yet another good season despite being out of action towards the end of the season. He notched up a total of 15 goals, 24 assists with an average rating of 7.55; winning him the English Footballer of the Year award. Adnan Januzaj was the top scorer in the premier division scoring 24 goals with 11 assists.

• Victor Wanyama - Southampton - £13.5 Million
  • Fernando - Shakhtar - £20.5 Million
  • Matthias Ginter - Schalke - £26.5 Million
  • Christian Eriksen - Tottenham - £25 Million

Players out

• Dante - 875K
  • Nani - Stuttgart - £1.9 Million
  • Jonny Evans - Tottenham- £5 Million
  • Michael Carrick - Shakhtar - FREE
  • Wilfried Zaha - Everton- FREE

Victor Wanyama and Matthias Ginter went straight into the starting XI and played well all season, their young age also means they'll be able to fill their positions for years to come so they both look like really good investments. Fernando came in with the idea to use him as a rotational player and to also replace Michael Carrick who left on a free but unfortunately it looks like this signing might be a mistake as he seems to be making numerous errors in the easier games. Christian Eriksen was brought in in January as Zaha couldn't step up to the plate and was sold to Everton on a free. As Nani was also sold to Stuttgart for a small fee of £1.9 million I desperately needed another quality attacking midfielder in case any of the front 4 got injured. Eriksen certainly made an impact towards the end of the season, playing in 14 games, scoring 3 goals and assisting 5.

Dante could have probably gone another year but with the arrival of Ginter I felt now was the right time to offload him. Jonny Evans also left as his performances were already on the decline, Tottenham offered a respectable £5 million for his services.

I now felt the squad was in good shape and depth to challenge on all levels.

Rafael - Dede - Ginter - Alex Sandro

------------ Wanyama - Fellaini -------------------

Welbeck - Januzaj - Van Persie - Mata

---------------------- Johnstone ----------------------

Danilio------ Smalling --------- Jones -------- Shaw

------------ Schneiderlin - Fernando -------------------

Eriksen ----- Powell --- Kagawa --- Valencia

liverpool-2-manutd-1-fa-cup-final-football-manager-2014.jpg
liverpool-2-manutd-1-fa-cup-final-football-manager-2014.jpg (183.68 KiB) Viewed 3088 times

manchester-united-transfers-football-manager-2014.png (125.53 KiB) Viewed 3088 times

manchester-united-football-manager-premier-league-table-2014.png
manchester-united-football-manager-premier-league-table-2014.png (158.39 KiB) Viewed 3088 times

wayne-rooney-man-utd-football-manager-2014.png
wayne-rooney-man-utd-football-manager-2014.png (224.4 KiB) Viewed 3088 times

adnan-januzaj-man-utd-football-manager-2014.png
adnan-januzaj-man-utd-football-manager-2014.png (216.55 KiB) Viewed 3088 times

manchester-united-average-ratings-football-manager-2014.png
manchester-united-average-ratings-football-manager-2014.png (201.65 KiB) Viewed 3088 times

matthias-ginter-manchester-united-football-manager-2014.png
matthias-ginter-manchester-united-football-manager-2014.png (211.25 KiB) Viewed 3088 times

Return to “Older Football Manager Games”