Wayne Rooney - Manchester United

Specific discussion about the players on older Football Manager games.
santowhir

Wayne Rooney - Manchester United

Postby santowhir » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:47 am

After a lot of tinkering with team selection in the first 2 seasons managing Man Utd it looked like Mata, Januzaj and Van Persie were all better starters than Rooney, so for the first 2 seasons I played him as a rotational player. I got a good offer from Arsenal for the ageing Van Persie after the second season so I decided to sell him back to his old club.

After bolstering my center back and center midfield options, funds were low so I decided to give Wayne Rooney another chance and boy did he take it! Not a single injury all season as he started 42 games and came on 5 times as a substitute, he managed to score 24 goals and also notched up 21 assists with 8 man of the matches with an average rating of 7.44. He was named as Players' Player of the Year and got in players team of the season.

I've seen a lot of people say Rooney drops in quality rapidly and most people go on to sell him for a cut price but in my experience he was invaluable in the 3rd season and I'll keep a close eye on how he sees out the rest of his career.

wayne-rooney-attributes-football-manager-2014.png
wayne-rooney-attributes-football-manager-2014.png (223.53 KiB) Viewed 1700 times

wayne-rooney-history-football-manager-2014.png
wayne-rooney-history-football-manager-2014.png (202.66 KiB) Viewed 1700 times

wayne-rooney-named-players-player-of-the-year-football-manager-2014.png
wayne-rooney-named-players-player-of-the-year-football-manager-2014.png (165.26 KiB) Viewed 1700 times

santowhir

Re: Wayne Rooney - Manchester United

Postby santowhir » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:40 pm

Well his form took a quick turn for the worse, with 15 starts, only 4 goals and 6 assists in the entire season of 2018-2019 (A 33 year old Wayne Rooney). With one year left on his contract his agent was demanding a £220k a week salary which was no where near what he was worth. With younger talent coming through it was an easy decision to let him go at the end of the season. Half way in to the new season he is still without a club and his statistics are declining quickly. Everton and a few other clubs did look into the possibility of signing him but his wage demands must have been too high as he is still a free agent.

It's interesting to note that his performances up until then were exceptional averaging around 20 assists and 15 goals a season as an attacking midfielder, I was starting to wonder whether I'd be able to play him into his mid 30's but unfortunately it just came to a very quick end.

Edit: I've just noticed that his status is now set at "Retiring"

wayne-rooney-retiring-football-manager-2014.png
wayne-rooney-retiring-football-manager-2014.png (164.14 KiB) Viewed 1598 times

wayne-rooney-career-stats-football-manager-2014.png
wayne-rooney-career-stats-football-manager-2014.png (154.7 KiB) Viewed 1598 times

Return to “Players on older versions of Football Manager.”